Sunday, March 22, 2015

Who's That Guy With The Big Head?

Early on I had to, had to in that I must, I needed, I wanted to badly, go down to Charlotte, to see Metalmorphosis.

Okay, I think we were there for a doctor's visit or something. Anyway...

Metalmorphosis is a giant metal sculpture by David Černý, an artist from the Czech Republic. He did some famous work in Europe, including painting a Soviet tank pink, babies crawling up a building, a giant middle finger, and a guy hanging from one hand on a pole off the roof of an office.

I like this guy.

Metalmorphosis is a gigantic shiny metal head that rotates over a reflecting fountain. Yes, it rotates, but it also is segmented, so each part of his head, from bottom to top, rotates as well.




It also spits water.

As we drove by the front of the building where it sits, it was facing forward, When we parked on the side, the head turned to look at us. Creepy.

Then the thing just started spinning around in circles in different directions. 

It's rumored that Cerny has access to a webcam and a remote control to make it do stuff when people are visiting. I believe it.

By the way, "Who's that guy with the big head?" is a famous line, one of many, from Mystery Science Theater 3000.

No comments:

Post a Comment